Re: Scared off of the car - I am not going to get it

To: " Bob Davis" <rdavis4@cfl.rr.com>, "Adam Bradley"
Subject: Re: Scared off of the car - I am not going to get it
From: "Jimmy Claypool" <jimmy@differentials.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:48:51 -0700
 A well built race 302 will break the bank depending on who builds it.
Rebello L series engines run into the 3-4k range. RPM Engines in Ronhert
Park  has a built L28 for a Zcar the is producing around 300hp but will set
you back 8K. A well built L20b will produce 150-170hp and be reliable and
parts are relatively cheap. RPM has an L20b in a 510 that is putting 184hp
to the ground which is around 220hp at the flywheel. Mind you that this is a
race engine 13.7:1 compression ratio running on 116 octane race fuel. It
gets the head freshened every 20 hours of run time.
Also the BRE race team was getting 175hp out of the L16 engines when the 510
hit the Trans Am racing series. And the 1600's that were being race around
that era were producing around 160 hp. I think a well built 1600 roadster
will be far cheaper that a well built Sunbeam Tiger.
Best bang for the buck. I say go  for a 510 or 240Z.  A nicely built L
series engine will last forever and will provide plenty of fun. Both cars
can be made to handle exceptionally well and can be very competitive in
certain classes.
If a convertable is what you want then I feel for the money a nicely setup
Miata can't be beat for autocross or road racing.  Eveyday reliabe
driver.....well I love my roadster. Its gets the looks and with the L series
swap  parts issues are a thing of the past

Other opinions may vary
Jimmy