Scared off of the car - I am not going to get it

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Scared off of the car - I am not going to get it
From: "Karl Shepard" <karls@structured.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:37:35 -0700
All, I have decided not to buy the 1970 Datsun 2000. After surfing the
net yesterday, I discovered that to  maintain this car it would take a
boatload of money.  What I wanted to do was race it as an historic.  I
can just see me getting this car completely race ready and then losing
the nerve to race a very expensively rebuilt car.  I called my
father-in-law's grandson last night and left a message to decline the
car.  The rebuild of everything on the car is just too much money.  $250
for calipers, more than $600 for the timing chains, NLA on many parts, -
this would be a nightmare.  Breaking at the track would not be any fun
at all.  The owner was offered $2300 for it and I am going to tell him
to take it.

My 1988 supercharged MR2 by contrast is far cheaper, parts are readily
available, and there are performance parts available for it.    And the
car is extensively modified.  It is not however an historic, nor I am
willing to tear out an almost flawless interior to make it raceable.  It
would not be competitve in any class that SCCA would put it in anyway.
So I will continue to hot lap the 2 on car club days at PIR and just
have fun.

I think I am going to look into Sunbeam Tiger or some other car that has
parts readily available and can be built up less expensively.  I really
do want to race some car next year and historics look like a lot of fun.

I will hang out on the list for a bit and then unsubscribe.  From what I
have seen in my brief time here I am quite sure that your group would be
helpful and fun.  Unfortunately, I cannot justify owning such an
incredibly expensive car to rebuild and maintain.

Karl Shepard