snake oil

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: snake oil
From: "ian miller" <datsun661600@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:50:55 -0400
While we are discussin snake oil, what is the concensus on Amsoil?  RELAX!
I"m not running it in my roadster.  I've heard some very big motor guys rave
about the stuff, so I decided to try it in my Explorer.  I figured if I was
going to blow a motor it should be in the car I nick named the Exploder.
The recomended ooil change is every 25000 miles or 12 months with a filter
change at 12500 or 6 months.  A friend I know has a 88 F350 tow trailer that
he uses to cart land speed record cars all over the country.  He has been
running amsoil in it since it was new and it now has 350,000 miles on it.
In may he decided to tear apart the engine, just because he was bored.  He
replaced all the seals but put the bearings back in and claimed they looked
nearly brand new.  This guy knows motors and he trust the stuff. there were
2 other friends who suggested Amsoil.  One is a mechanic for GM Powertrain
Development.  He tears apart the motors they blow up on their dynos.  The
other is a test engineer for Chrysler.

On the other hand...I realize that one of the worst effects of old oil, has
nothing to do witht the oil, but the amount of gas that gets in and changes
the viscosity.  Actually the "oil" will never really go bad.  The debris
from motor wear should be caught by the filter.  The only real change is in
the viscosity change (gas in the oil) and the detergents go bad, or get used
up.

So then what is the difference between Amsoil and Mobile1  or any othe
quality synthetic? Is it just marketing?

Ian