Re: Shock Installation questions...help needed

To: gregnvicki@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Shock Installation questions...help needed
From: "David Totah" <dstotah@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 09:37:04 -0700
To all,

Thanks so much for the help.  I want to make sure that I pass on a record of
my efforts in case it helps anyone else attempting to perform the same task.

I got smart last night and was able to complete the installation of the
first shock that I began the night before and I also completed the second
shock.  I looped the coated wire around the threaded rod, and made a loop
(bosun's knot...old sea scout knot) and pushed the free end on the wire that
I looped over the top of the shock through the knot (loop).  I then pulled
tight and lashed the line to the frame.  I had previously jacked the car up
by the pumpkin which compressed the suspension.  I lowered the car and moved
the jacks to another position (Under the closest frame point).  I should
have used penetrating fluid in the first place as replacing the lock nut
went so easy after I used it.  The fluid also made allowed the other nut to
come off with little effort.

I secured both shocks with wire in the same fashion (one at a time of
course), not to compress them, but to keep them from expanding.  It worked,
and I was able to put the bushings and such on without a hitch (After
cutting the factory straps).  I placed a jack under the differential again
and jacked it up just enough so the threads of the shock were in the hole.
Then I cut the straps and presto...instant shock job.
I also installed a new mahogany steering wheel last night that I am thrilled
with.  The car now has less rattle, glides over bumps, and handles
noticeably better.  The steering also has less play in it which is very
nice.
Just to think that I still have 2 more shocks worth of ride improvement to
install.
Not sure if I had mentioned before, but the old shocks were so blown that I
compressed them using 2 fingers to push the piston up, and they didn't
uncompress.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips.  I am not sure if I am going to mess with
the front shocks this week, considering that my g/f is pretty pissed that I
spent the last two full evenings outside working on the car while she was
inside washing dishes, and cooking dinner.

Take care and thanks again for all the tips,
Dave

San jose, CA
SRL311-11648