Shock Installation questions...help needed

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Shock Installation questions...help needed
From: "David Totah" <dstotah@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 10:01:20 -0700
Last night I printed the installation pages from the 311s.org site on how to
install front and rear shocks.  While it seemed easy enough, I quickly found
out that it was in for a long night of work.  I spent 3 hours getting the
lock nut off the fram bolt at the upper fastening of the old shock.
I placed the new shock on the upper bolt, but an thinking of replacing the
lock nut with a regular nut and a lock washer.  Any reasons I shouldn't do
this.

Secondly, The new shock is already compressed.  I am planning on securing
the upper part first and then cutting the compressing strap that is over the
entire shock.  How hard is it going to be to compress this new high pressure
KYB gas shock to the point that I can place it in the old suspension hole
and then secure the shock?
Any tips on compressing the shock?  I think someone mentioned that they
wrapped the shock with duct tape to keep it compressed.

If anyone has a couple free evenings to help me out this week, I will bring
out the Bar-B-Q grill, season a couple of steaks/burgers/you name it, and I
will cook it.

I would appreciate any tips or hints.

Thanks,
Dave