Re: [OT]Av Gas - Was Re: vapor lock revisited .... "winter gas"

To: "Vicki Burrows" <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [OT]Av Gas - Was Re: vapor lock revisited .... "winter gas"
From: "Eric Frisbee" <efris@qwest.net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 21:46:20 -0600
Perhaps it's a trick of psychology, but I could have sworn the car was
running better and seemed to have more power.   I could not quantify it with
hard scientific data, so we won't bother with trying to prove otherwise

I can however quantify that higher octane gas DOES provide better gas
mileage.   Three cars no less...  '67 Datsun 1600.   85 octane got 26.4 mpg,
89 octane got 28.9 and the 91 octane got 31.4 mpg.   '95 Geo Metro.   89
octane = 36 mpg  91 = 40-45 mpg  '00 Buick Regal 89 octane =26.7 mpg , 91
octane = 29.5 mpg.   This data was obtained on my 158 mile commute every day
at 5280-8100 feet altitude and 90% was highway miles.    The Geo and the
roadster can both run on the cheap 85 octane crap, but what's the point when
you get better mileage out of the expensive stuff?  :)

Eric