Re: [OT]Av Gas - Was Re: vapor lock revisited .... "winter gas"

To: Eric Frisbee <efris@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: [OT]Av Gas - Was Re: vapor lock revisited .... "winter gas"
From: Vicki Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 19:24:41 -0700
With all due respect, higher octane gas does not contain more power, it
actually resists pre-ignition and detonation better.  It burns more slowly,
thereby allowing you to run higher compression and more spark advance.  It
resists spontaneous "blowing up" and spot ignition (where some of the gas
ignites ahead of the flame front), that leads to detonation.  If your engine
does not require higher octane gas, using it is a waste of money!
Greg Burrows