New to the group and curious about prices

To: "'Roadsters (E-mail)'" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: New to the group and curious about prices
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 19:38:04 -0700
I am a "newbie" to the group, having recently acquired a 69 2000 in
"fair" condition, at least better than the beginning of most project
cars I have seen on the web, but stored for 15 years.  I have also been
reading some of the excellent web pages and learning as much as I can
while remembering working on my 68 & 70 2000's 30 or more years ago.
For those of you who have invested a lot of time and knowledge in these
pages, THANK YOU.

One area that has caught my attention is the timing chain and related
sprockets, which I did have the pleasure of reworking along with the
head, etc., on my 68.   The cost I see quoted for these parts today is
fairly steep.  I think $500.00 is reasonable to do the job right.  I
just took a look at Carparts.com (JC Whitney) and found that it appears
that these components, including the oil tensioner, can be had for
something in the vicinity of $100.00 or so.  What is the difference in
quality or reliability that would prevent someone from using these parts
??

Tom Hendricksen
SRL311-12401