Re: Clutch release problem found

To: "Dziuba, Larry" <LarryD@pengrowth.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch release problem found
From: Gary Boone <gboone@sisna.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 17:11:23 -0600
Larry,
Most of the auto parts stores that loan tools have the pilot bushing removal
tools.  The tool has 2 fingers that hook to the inner end of the bushing and
pull it out by a jackscrew or slide hammer.  If your old bushing was "bottomed
out" in the hole, which it should not be, the tool wouldn't work.  For the
roadster, I haven't seen a spec for the depth of the bushing, but my Nissan Z
car manual states that the outer end of the bushing should be 4 mm from the
outer end of the crank hole.  It warns to not insert the bushing too deep.  This
4 mm just happens to be the inner edge of the bevel in the outer end of the
hole.  Regardless, on my future pilot bushing replacements, I'll verify that the
tranny input shaft doesn't bind in the bushing by doing the same test I did when
I found this problem.  Before installing the clutch, bolt up the tranny to the
engine.  With the tranny in any forward gear, turn the engine crank and
determine that the tranny output shaft does not turn (requires having the
driveshaft inserted on a 4 speed).  If the output turns, you may need to insert
the bushing a little deeper in the hole.
Good luck.
Gary
P.S. Don't forget to check for a slipping clutch belt  :-)