Clutch release problem found

To: Datsun Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch release problem found
From: Gary Boone <gboone@sisna.com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 13:09:24 -0600
A few days ago, I posted a message requesting ideas for the cause of a
newly installed clutch that would not release on a '68 1600.  Thanks to
all who provided feedback.  We pulled the engine again last night and
found the problem.  It turns out that the problem was unrelated to the
clutch.  The tranny input shaft was binding in the pilot bearing.  With
the new clutch, we also installed a new pilot bearing (the needle
bearing type from NISMO).  We installed it to the same depth in the
crank's hole as the original pilot bushing.  But it needed to be 1/8"
deeper in the hole to avoid the tapered diameter section on the tranny
input shaft.  The problem had the symptoms of a clutch that would not
release because the tranny input shaft always rotated with the engine
crankshaft even when the clutch was released.

I wonder who holds the record for R & R'ing the same roadster engine for
the same problem.  I don't want to compete for the title even though
I've had my share of practice lately.

Gary
WyCROC
'70 2000