Serial numbers on early cars

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Serial numbers on early cars
From: gmagana@softcom.net
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 00:04:12 -0700
I have a question, why is it that I see the early 1500's that are listed on
the 311s.org site with serial numbers that end with a letter.  I have one of
these and it is SPL31002436D, any one know's off hand why they are listed like
that?? I noticed that Andrew's cra is listed as SPL31002791C.  If they are the
same year and model what differentiation does the letter mean?? Just curious.
Gerardo Magana
67.5 2000 SRL311-00222
64 1500 SPL310-02436D
P.S. Steve Allen, there is the serial number for the registry for my 64.