Instrument lights, mostly

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Instrument lights, mostly
From: Michael Wischkaemper <mwisch@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:32:53 -0800
Hi all,

Son Mark and I took delivery of a '70 1600 yesterday. I remember the look on
his face from the rear view mirror of the '51 MGTD I got 35 years ago. It
was great. He spent the day learning the joys of degreasing a vintage car,
hunting for zerk fittings and muscling over-tightened differential plugs out
to replace gear oil. We never could find the drain plug for the steering
box, so he also got to learn the extra-pump-to-remove-old-oil trick. But I
digress.

Instrument lights are intermittent for the whole dash panel and dim when
they work. I did not have time to work on it yesterday. My non-roadster
first suspect for such a case is ground, but my instincts come from a car
with a fiberglass body where ground is a constant problem. We've eliminated
fuses. Before we remove the seat (see, I've at least been following this
group in anticipation) and get underneath the dash, are there any
suggestions of other likely causes specific to the roadster?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mike Wischkaemper
Carlsbad, CA
1970 SPL311 27524