Re: Air louvers on hood

To: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Air louvers on hood
From: Marshall Colley <mcolley@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 21:28:01 -0700
Thanks for the reply Tom.  It would be nice to see what it looks like on
another car.  It's currently primered and the car is whole, yet straight and
clean, but a long ways from looking good.

Maybe someone can direct me to some photos of such a set-up.

Marshall

> Not a problem, just keep it above 60 mph!
>
> Only time I have seen it being an issue is the
> vents on the old VW Bugs. With lots of water
> on the distributor, they were very hard to start.
> Carry some WD-40 to displace the water, and it
> would fire right on up.
>
> You probably get more water spray through the
> front of the car in a heavy rain than you might
> realize.
>
> I seem to remember seeing an old competition
> photo of one of the 2000 (?) racers with the
> louvered hood.  Rob -- got anything like that
> in your archives?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom
>

> Marshall Colley wrote:
>
>> I see, so it's a stock hood that's been professionally punched.   I like the
>> idea of getting the hot air out during the summer months when it's almost
>> hot enough under the hood to do foundry work, but I'm concerned about the
>> ability of water during heavy rains to run down the hood and into the engine
>> compartment through the punch outs.  I don't know if this would hurt
>> anything in that the air intake and ignition electronics are off to the
>> side.
>>
>> Anyone have any experience or opinions?
>>
>> Happy Holidays,
>>
>> Marshall
>>

>>> Even though they may look original the hot rod boys use the same technique
>>> and
>>> they look original too. The trick is in how they are punched and expanded in
>>> the
>>> metal. A god body man that does rods can make them look like they came from
>>> the