Re: Carb return springs

To: Marc Tyler <marc@animalfirm.com>,
Subject: Re: Carb return springs
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 15:11:44 -0500
>snyler

> Is there any reason  not to mount a return spring for both carbs on the
> throttle linkage to save wear on throttle shafts? If that's a bad idea,
> do our vendors carry OEM return springs?

Marc,

Just took a look at the L-motor/SSS SU setup that I have and it has a spring
on each carb, both off of the shaft that runs between the two carbs. I think
this setup is different than on the R-16 in that the fuel bowls are outside
the carbs rather than both being in the same relative position, and I don't
remember if the R-16 uses the bellcrank/twisting mechanical linkage as
opposed to a cable.

I'd think you could fabricate some sort of an adjustable stop to keep from
jamming the butterflies closed in the throats and then twisting the
butterfly shaft against them. I THINK that's what you're trying to avoid, or
am I missing something?

Ron

The ACL Group
Arlington, Texas