Re: Carb return springs

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carb return springs
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 17:11:26 -0500
>Marc Tyler:

> The R-16 has both carbs with float bowls on the left (as viewed from the
> air cleaner side)  There is a linkage that uses 2 points on the intake
> manifold as a pivot, and a little thumbscrew to adjust the closed
> position already in place :-).  I haven't scoped out an ideal place on
> the linkage for this remote return, but there look to be ample
> opportunities for spring mounting.  My concern is that the snap-on
> ball-links that go from the linkage to the carbs might  have a sloppy
> enough fit to cause some (I don't know exactly what) problems.  Other
> concerns are as you mention, jamming the butterflies closed, though that
> seems like it could happen just as easily with the present setup.  My
> hope is to relive the side-loading on the throttle shafts (as Gordon
> mentioned)  Mainly though, it's armchair tinkering waiting for the temps
> to fall below 100 deg  8^\

I thought that was the way the R-16 carbs were. There ought to be a way that
you can fab a bracket that would put an adjustable stop in the same plane as
the spring tension, but the idle speed screw would counter it to some
extent, come to think of it. Wouldn't it? Oh well. Are there not screws in
the linkage to take care of the slop in it? You might look at redoing those.
A number of places offer linkage bits to roll your own. Interesting to
speculate, in any case.

Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)