Re: Overheating Problem (Return from RA)

To: "Mike Harper" <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Overheating Problem (Return from RA)
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:27:31 -0400
Mike,

Steel heads run warmer than aluminum heads however I think if it's the
original rad and core it's time for a new one. My 66 1600 ran "warm" also
despite a relatively new recore, and going up hill I could watch the temp
gauge rise and down hill it would go down. The 2L rad I had recored last
week is a better core than the one I had installed about 20 years ago as it
has more fins per inch.

I would occassionaly get spikes too and it may have to do with cavitation or
the thermostat, I was never able to figure out which despite changing the
thermo and burping the coolant system by squeezing the lower rad hose when
filling it up. I do know that bubbles in the coolant can make an engine run
hotter and Redline waterwetter is suposed to help by lowering surface
tension and creating a sheeting action. I used it and saw a minor lowering
of my temperature. Additionally, run a weaker antifreeze mix as too much
antifreeze lowers the ability of the heat exchange. Water is the best
coolant but not very good at preventing corrossion. A higher pressure rad
cap should also help but I never tried that - yet.

I did notice after disassembling my original 3 main engine that many of the
coolant passages were restricted by casting flash. I was amazed at how much
flash was blocking the passages but my H20 block seemed much better in that
regard but I still Dremeled out all the passages.

Additionally, do you still have that water valve on your manifold which
controls flow to the heater core? If not I would suggest you drive with the
heater valve open. I noticed that when I closed the heater valve my car
would run much hotter but I didn't have the valve on my manifold.

Is your air guide still on? I heard this helps a lot too. Fortunately I have
a new one which I will mount on my new rad and hope it helps keep my stroker
cool.

Mike