Overheating Problem (Return from RA)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Overheating Problem (Return from RA)
From: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 05:48:33 -0700 (PDT)
A great weekend at Road Atlanta with SEROCers.  More
on that later, as I have time to catch up on E-Mail
and make a Loooong posting about the fun.  However,
this is the un-fun part, and I want to pick some
brains B4 I prepare to start work on the 1600.

The "heating" gremlins were out in force this weekend,
as Brad Holmes had some overheating problems in his
beautiful 2000 Solex car on the way from Alabama.  We
all tweaked the car during the weekend trying to
pinpoint it, and I left the crew to return to
Charleston SC while they were still fiddling, so I
hope it went well.

I was very proud of my old 1600 on the trip out, and
while there, commenting that the temp pegged on 185
the whole trip.  I spoke too soon!  About 1/2 way home
I began to get temp spikes, so I stopped to check.
Everything looked fine, the water was circulating, and
I thought at first it may be a guage problem, because
it would rise to 240-250, then return to 190 for
several miles B$ repeating.  I stopped & removed the
thermostat.  Thought that solved it because it did
great for 20 miles or so B4 repeating the above
antics. Drove 40 more miles of Interstate with
occasional spikes, returns, until it spiked and stayed
for a mile or so.  I stopped again, and this time it
was damned hot!  I tightened an already tight fan
belt, brushed bugs off my radiator, cheched for
leaks/seepage, said some words over it, used my last
water supply & the meltings from my cooler to top
everything off, and drove another 4 miles B4 stopping
again.  This time sure that I have a real problem.
Lost the gasket to my pressure cap, and was lucky
enough to be near a friend's house in Aiken SC.
Called, and hobbled in a few miles at a time.  That is
where my car is now, 150 miles from home, with a
heating problem I need to fix at first op.  I do not
think I did any damage, but I seek advice.  New water
pump installed 1 year, 1000 mikes ago, original
radiator with some "weld" repairs around the fittings
(PO), coolant changed last year, 4 bladed fan w
shroud.  Where do I start?  I am thinking a recored
rad just because, and new pressure cap for starts, but
wondering if these symptoms mean anything to anyone
from experience.  The spiking & returning thing kind
of threw me, but may be symptomatic of something.

BTW, the fuel guage was constant.  I know the voltage
reg under the dash controls both & I was hoping for an
erratic fuel guage too, but no, It is definitely
heating.

Thanks for your patience with this loooong post!

Mike Harper
'66 1600
Charleston SC
http://auctions.yahoo.com/