Re: Valve Spring Compressor

To: Brian Hollands <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Subject: Re: Valve Spring Compressor
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 08:19:51 -0500
Brian,

On the valve spring compressor that grabs onto the
camshaft, letting you lever down onto the springs...
correct, the cam towers on the U20 are too close
the the springs. Only solution is to grind away
at the tool enough to add some clearance.

I do NOT recommend that tool if the head is out
on the bench. Way too easy to bend the valves a
"little" when you pop open the valve stem retainer.

The tool I use is a traditional "C" style spring
compressor. Just remember to toss a shop rag over
the retainer end, so you don't got searching all
over the shop for the valve stem retainers.

Tom Walter