Re: timing chain

To: Brian Hollands <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>,
Subject: Re: timing chain
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 21:17:19 -0700
Brian Hollands wrote:

> I have a friend, Ironically named Bob, who has no fingers.  Although he lost
> his in a sheet metal machine, both he and I highly recommend keeping fingers
> and other valuable body parts (you can decide what's valuable) out of the
> innards of moving machinery.  Additionally, If you do the below procedure
> with out losing anything what you'll find is that: a) you can't accurately
> find TDC by feeling air blow out of a spark plug whole and b) even if you
> could the big mark on the crank pulley will be lined up with the timing mark
> on the chain cover whether cam is timed properly or not.  Remember, unless
> you've got something REALLY screwed up, the big mark on the crank pulley IS
> TDC.  Don't stick you fingers in the cylinders.
> Next, Check where the valve opens.  Visually checking where the distributor
> rotor is pointing is in no way accurate enough to tell you if your cam
> timing is off.
> If you really want to check this by looking at ignition timing, use a timing
> light.  Even if the engine won't start, you'll be able to see where your
> spark timing is much more accurately with a light than by eye balling it.
> Once again, what you're really looking for in this situation is the
> cam/valve timing, not the ignition timing which, although related, could be
> way off for reasons not involving the cam or timing chain.
>
> Keep body parts out of moving machines
> Don't wear neckties when working on the engine
> If it's running, make sure your work area is ventilated
> use jack stands
> etc. etc.
>
> Brian

It actually works better than you think and I did say put your finger
in the hole just to block the spark plug hole.  Excuse me, I should
have said to cover the spark plug hole.  You can get the timing
marks lined up close with this method.  You can usually get within
a quarter of a revolution of the appropriate timing mark and then
get it all lined up by hand.  If the timing chain has jumped a tooth
or 2 the rotor will not be pointing at #1 cylinder's spark plug wire
in the cap.  Thus you should be able to tell roughly, not pin point
accurately, that the timing chain is not lined up.
This can be done without taking the valve cover off as the person had
asked in the first place. It just happens to be a relatively quick way to
get a rough estimate.

I hope this clears up your confusion.
Bob