RE: timing chain

Subject: RE: timing chain
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:52:02 -0400
I have a friend, Ironically named Bob, who has no fingers.  Although he lost
his in a sheet metal machine, both he and I highly recommend keeping fingers
and other valuable body parts (you can decide what's valuable) out of the
innards of moving machinery.  Additionally, If you do the below procedure
with out losing anything what you'll find is that: a) you can't accurately
find TDC by feeling air blow out of a spark plug whole and b) even if you
could the big mark on the crank pulley will be lined up with the timing mark
on the chain cover whether cam is timed properly or not.  Remember, unless
you've got something REALLY screwed up, the big mark on the crank pulley IS
TDC.  Don't stick you fingers in the cylinders.
Next, Check where the valve opens.  Visually checking where the distributor
rotor is pointing is in no way accurate enough to tell you if your cam
timing is off.
If you really want to check this by looking at ignition timing, use a timing
light.  Even if the engine won't start, you'll be able to see where your
spark timing is much more accurately with a light than by eye balling it.
Once again, what you're really looking for in this situation is the
cam/valve timing, not the ignition timing which, although related, could be
way off for reasons not involving the cam or timing chain.

Keep body parts out of moving machines
Don't wear neckties when working on the engine
If it's running, make sure your work area is ventilated
use jack stands
etc. etc.

Brian