Re: timing chain

To: Donald Swenson <DASRacing@webtv.net>,
Subject: Re: timing chain
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:27:39 -0700
Donald Swenson wrote:

> Hello everone i'm new to the list.I like to new knew if there is a way
> to check if the timing chain jumped without taking the timing chain
> cover off.1968 1600

If you pull the # spark plug out and the coil wire off 1st.
You can then have someone help you click the engine over
while you hold your finger in the spark plug hole.  Just put
your finger in the hole far enough to block the hole.  Each
click of the ignition key should turn the engine over about
1/4 of a turn.  Don't try to start the engine, just !/4 turn at a time.
As the #1 piston comes to the TDC it will blow pressure
out on your finger.  At this point look to see where the timing
marks are on the lower crank pulley.  Get the timing mark lined up
and then pull the distributor cap off looking to see where the rotor
is pointing.  It should be close to pointing at the # spark plug wire.
If it isn't then you have something wrong.
Bob
Moscow, Idaho
67.5  2L and 5 speed

PS.  What is your name and where are you located.
 Everyone on the list is interested in knowing details of
your car..