Re: Smog to Non-Smog

To: Doris <dhbain@qwest.net>,
Subject: Re: Smog to Non-Smog
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:47:12 -0700
Doris wrote:

> Morning!
>
> I need help with the static set up for the distributor going
> from Smog to Non-Smog.  I warmed the car up before pulling
> the smog distributor out, then put in the rebuilt non-smog.
> Can't get it to catch anywhere in the turn radius of the
> distributor.  So, I thought I'd start over and put the smog
> back in and now it won't catch either.  How do I set it so
> that it's close enough to start?

Jim,
It sounds like you have it way out if time.
If you have rotated the engine already, you will need to find
TDC (top dead center) first.  Take the valve cover and coil wire off,
and then while cranking the engine over, watch the rocker arms open
and close the valves for the #1 cylinder.  Exhaust opens first, then the

intake valve starts to open as the exhaust is just closing.
The intake will close and you have about 1/2 more revolution to go
before
the #1 piston is at TDC.  You can take #1 spark plug out and put your
finger in the hole just enough to block the hole while someone clicks
the
starter switch for you.  You do not hold the key tight like starting it.

Click it quickly and the engine will rotate about 1/4 turn or so with
each
click of the key.  When you get to TDC check the timing marks on the
lower pulley.  Get the timing marks lined up and then look at the cap
and rotor
position.  Is the rotor pointing at the #1 spark plug location?  The
distributor
will have to be pulled out and the rotor turned to the appropriate
position if the
rotor is not correctly positioned.
As the distributor goes back in it rotates the rotor.  You will have to
play
with it a couple of times probably to get it right.  After that you will
be able to
set the timing correctly