Engine Rebuild Tip

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Rebuild Tip
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 19:39:49 -0400
Today was a great day to work outside here in NY finally and I was able to
check out the block I am going to use for a rebuild. After examining the
water passage openings on the deck I realized how much casting flash is
blocking the water passages. I got out my Dremel and some grinding stones
and abrasive cartridge rolls and opened them up using a head gasket as a
guide to make sure I didn't go too far. I was able to open some up by almost
50% as they had some severe flashing. I also smoothed out all the rest with
the abrasive rolls or stones.

I recommend that whenever you get an engine rebuild that you do the same. I
read about this prep work in Hot Rod or somewhere a few years ago and they
were right. An engine builder will not do this work, at least the ones I
dealt with.

My original 3 main block was even worse and I did the same to that also. I
think I know the reason my car ran hot - some of the passages were almost
completely closed off from flashing - Incredible.

Also check the head too for this problem.

No, it wasn't crud, it was aluminum or cast iron that blocked many of the
passages.

Mike