Re: Fuel Shut-Off Switch

To: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: Fuel Shut-Off Switch
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 13:18:28 -0500
Pat,

Next time I am junk yard hunting, I'll keep an eye
out for one of those control units! Also since the
Honda used an electric fuel pump for the carb, probably
a good unit to snatch as a spare.

I've seen a couple of tricks doing the same thing.
One was to use a relay and oil pressure switch, so
the relay would only energize when pressure was
present (switch is normally open), but GM had a series
of two contact switches... on contact (normally closed
with no oil pressure for the dash light, second contact
normally open for the fuel pump relay).

Only concern is to have the oil pressure "T" and
additional switch mounted to the firewall. Too much
vibration on the block, and the "T" can snap off
(admitted it takes years to happen, but not a good
thing).

Also the "N" connection of the alternator windings
really will not be at "neutral" but at something like
6V DC when the engine is running. Datsun used that
fact, with a 6V relay, on the '72 and later sedans (i.e.
510) with electric chokes. The heating element for the
choke was only energized when the engine was running.

Sounds like the Honda switch is pretty simple, and a
good item.

Tom Walter  '68 2000
Austin, TX

P.S. Sometimes it is taking 24 hours for my post to
get back to me. Odd, not sure if it is just me...
or a filter to prevent "I'm out of the office" email
loops.