Re: Re[4]: Plugs and their gaps

To: <Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us>,
Subject: Re: Re[4]: Plugs and their gaps
From: "Thomas J." <tomph@ispchannel.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 21:49:12 -0400
Hi Ya Fred, Ronnie, & listers

<snip>
>So the question I have for you Pertronix users out there is as follows:
>When you installed your Pertronix, did you install a non-ballast coil and
>bypass your ballast resistor? That should effectively double the spark
>going to the spark plugs. The setups I've seen keep the ballast resistor
>and stock ballast coil.

That's what I did. When I put in the petronix I used spade connectors and an
extra wire and just put the petronix in place of the points. The little
capacitor on the distributor is not needed so I unhooked that but left it
mounted. Now, if the petronixs fails (which it did once - this is my second)
all I do is pull out my spare points, unplug the petronix, plug in the
points, gap them (matchbox cover works well for emergency feeler gauge as
you mentioned - old trick) connect the capacitor and off I go. The coil with
ballast resistor stays just the way it was. Seems to me I thought I heard
once that bypassing the ballast resistor could cause the coil to overheat
from the continued application of 12 volts.

>I may try doing so this weekend and test the results. I suppose I should
also
>widen the spark plug gaps to allow for the higher voltage to jump the gap.

Changing plug gap is not necessary, as far as I know with the petronix
alone, and was not mentioned in the installation instructions. However, the
MSD unit I have added after the petronix requires that the plug gap be set
to .050 to start and then widen or close from there depending on performance
and plug color (if I remember the right). I'm sure others will jump in here.
I have to look for my installation notes to be more exact.  BTW - I'm still
using my old stock datsun coil.

Tom P
67 2L
68 2L