Smoke and plug wires

To: "Roadster list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Smoke and plug wires
From: "Annette" <squishfish@home.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:12:03 -0700
Hey all,

I had a friend over last night to show him the new Roadster, I started it up
for him and asked him how many cylinders he thought it was running on (the
previous owner told me he thought it was only running on two) he agreed that
it sounded like it was running on all cylinders but SOMETHING was wrong.  He
went and inspected the plug wires and decided that they were in the wrong
order.  He switched the #1 and #2 wires, we started the car again, it starts
RIGHT up, no more backfires, and it sounds ALOT smoother, no more shuddering
and shaking, so I am pretty sure he did the right thing.  HOWEVER, now that
those are switched the car is smoking from the tailpipe like there is no
tomorrow!!  We were sniffing and evaluating the colour of the smoke, trying to
determine if the car was just burning off all the bad gunk it wasnt getting
the power to burn off before, but the smoke continued even after about 10
minutes total of running.    The odd thing is that when the car is first
started there is just a tiny bit of smoke, looks like residual stuff coming
out, but after it's been running about a minute or two the smoke starts coming
out alot worse.  The smoke is mostly white with just a slight blue tint to it
and it smells like a lawnmower, which usually indicates that I'm burning oil,
but the smoke isnt the right colour!

Now we're thinking that the previous owner switched the wires on purpose so I
would not see the smoke.  *sigh* that's getting to be a theme with this car!

I know this is more general car related rather than roadster specific but I
would really appreciate it if someone could give me a place to start with this
problem!!

Thanks a ton,

Annette
Vancouver, WA