Re: 67.5 Interior trim paint?

To: doctor_evil@fastmail.ca, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 67.5 Interior trim paint?
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 00:07:17 EDT
doctor_evil@fastmail.ca writes:

<< My questions are:

 1.  What's the best way to prep the chrome for new paint?

 2.  What colour is it supposed to be? (ie. can I pick up a spray bomb
 from Nissan, or somewhere else, or pick my own shade of silver, or
 what){Oh, and sorry about the Canadian spelling, eh?} >>

I dont believe there is a way to "prep" chrome to paint as people dont
usually paint over chrome.  The paint that you will find on the 67.5 chrome
pieces was basically a quick fix and a cost saving measure to get the cars
through the stricter DOT laws.  Afterall, they were phasing out the low
'shield models in 1967 for the newer styled '68's.

If you want a lasting silver finish then you would need to strip the chrome
off and then primer and paint.  Otherwise, you can try to scuff the surface
alittle before painting.  Just dont scuff too much otherwise you will need to
fill in the scratches.  Pick the paint that you feel is closest to what you
have.  Any of the larger chain auto shops sell decent paint for this purpose.

FYI... on my 67.5 I planned of removing the paint to let the chrome shine.

Calspeed
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/calspeed1/motorsports.html";>
http://members.aol.com/calspeed1/motorsports.html</A>