Metal Polishing

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Metal Polishing
From: "Brian St. Jacques" <brian@varatouch.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:10:04 -0800
Hello All,

I just got a metal polishing kit from Eastwood and have been playing around
with it the last few days. I have never done this kind of work, so I am not
sure if my technique is quite right, even after actually reading the
instructions. I was wondering if anyone on the list that has some
experience with making metal shine could answer a few questions for me...

- Is it better to make lots of short passes over an area or to leave the
buff concentrated on that area?

- Is heat build up an the part good? bad? doesn't matter as long as the
metal doesn't get discolored?

- Should I always have a slight "haze" of compound on the part or should I
work the part until  the "haze" is gone and then apply more compound?

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. I have started out working
on one of the aluminum door....uh...threshold?....plates. Mine are very
ugly with quite a bit of corrosion. I have half of one looking almost nice
after lots of work with steel wool and tripoli, but you can still see the
surface imperfections from the corrosion unless you are standing two feet
away and in the right light. At this pace I will have all of that aluminum
trim looking beautiful in a few short years....

Brian '68 1600