RE: Badge sugestion

To: "Dave Mehl" <waterback@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: RE: Badge sugestion
From: fairlady <fairlady@telstra.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:21:36 +1000
Some logistical/technical considerations to keep in mind when designing/making
a badge;

1. The badges we have need a raised metal otline between colours. I know it is
possible to get them made without lines but I think it is more expensive. The
badges without the lines usually have a clear coating over them which don't
seem to stand the weather and grit blasting (that you get from driving around)
as well as the enamel badges.

2. Clear and simple and uncluttered design. Unless you are really clever with
the colours you use, a red and white rising sun will look messy behind a car
that will probably be red.One of my.first designs had the rising sun behind
the car. It looked okay as a line drawing but when I added colour it just
didn't work.

3. The more colours you use, the more expensive it gets. The Aussie badge has
4 enamel colours. In 1995 and 96 when I first had rhem made the unit cost was
$13.60 each plus delivery. Additional colours would have been about $1.50 per
badge.

These prices are Aussie dollars (in '95 the exchange rate was about US$0.80 to
Aus$1. At the moment the exchange rate is around US$0.50 to Aus$1.

I am happy to ask for quotes on various quantities on a badge of similar size
to ours (3" diameter). Someone in the US would need to collect the money and
receive and distribute the badges. I daresay that that person would need
significant payment up front before going ahead with the badges.

As the designer of the Aussie badge I have no problems with you guys having a
substantially similar design. I also have no problem if you reject it and
decide on something completely different. In my opinion though, don't use the
griffin. It is too esoteric. Almost no-one outside this mailing list would
have any idea of a connection between the griffin and Datsun roadsters. The
griffin is also a very Eurpean/British image and I don't think it really suits
our cars.

If I can find it, I will email Phil Hall a very stylised roadster sketch that
came from the Japan a few years ago. Phil might then put it up on his
photopoint site.

Regards,
Phill Brook