SU carbs

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: SU carbs
From: VulForge@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:47:24 EST
List:
       I just rebuilt the carbs on my 67 1600, and I could use some help on
getting them adjusted properly.  I used Stan's rebuild kit, which comes with
Grose jets.  I had to move the float level substantialy and I still don't
seem to have it right.  I am geting overflow and flooding.   Anyone have any
suggestion or measurement for setting the floats?  Also, the front float
seems to want to turn in the bowl.  It doesn't look like the little ears on
the top are long enough to prevent this.
       Stan sent along some straight tubing to replace the fuel pipes from
the bowl to the jet, but without the factory forming they kinked where they
made the bend.  I solved this by slipping a very light extension spring over
the tubing.  Seems to work fine.
       Anybody have a good procedure for setting the mixture?  I am starting
rich and leaning it out and checking plug color, but there must be an easier
way.  The fractured Japanese in the manual is nearly incomprehensible.

Thanks in advance!
Russ
67 1600
Kansas City