Re: Destroking U20 eng.

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Destroking U20 eng.
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:05:29 -0600
Dennis,

I know a couple of others have already weighed in, and while I may even
understand a bit why (using longer rods?) you're thinking about this, the
cost/benefit ratio has to be way out of whack. First, IF you can find off
the shelf rods that'll work, you'll almost certainly need custom pistons,
probably $600 with rings. Second, I don't know if the cylinder walls are
usually thick enough to support the over bore you'd need.

Finally, if you did put this together, what would be the real world
gains? If this is intended for daily/weekend driver or even a car
autocrossed or run in track days or schools, I seriously doubt you'd see
much , if any, gain. Maybe an interesting engineering exercise, but not
very practical, IMHO.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)