1500's, U20's and Miatas

To: roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1500's, U20's and Miatas
From: shifty <shifty@best.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:44:28 -0800
Hi folks,

Andrew came and picked up the 1500 today. We went over the differences
between the 1500 and later cars. There is definitely a different feel - to
me they feel closer to the influence of Austin (which Nissan partnered with
for while), they seem closer to tin-toy 1950's technology. I'll be
interested to see what Andrew thinks about it after living with a 1500 for a
while.

We met up with Calspeed and Fred Katz for lunch to send Andrew on to parts
north, and afterward I finally got the chance to drive a '67.5 2000 -
Michael let me drive his. In a word, WOW. There is a growl that is
unbelieveable wailing from the Solexes on his car. The whole thing comes
alive at 4000 RPM. Very nice power, the thing is a beast! Nice inspiration
to get busy on my 2 liter project.

Then I drove Fred's nice red '66 with U20 and SU's. What a different
feeling, lots of low-end grunt, very different than the Solex car. Both have
1600 rear-ends, and both feel great!

Fred and Mike also drove my '93 1.6 liter Miata with Racing Beat sways and
braces. I'll let them comment on that.

Leigh Brooks
BADROC (NONROC actually!)