Re: ENGINE SWAPS> XR4Ti

To: ben.herman@excite.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ENGINE SWAPS> XR4Ti
From: "Dan Zubkoff" <datsun65@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:38:05
Several years ago, a list member from Arizona, Karl Payne (SP), has a
Thunderbird engine with a Borg-Warner T5 trans installed in his roadster. He
used to have a project site up somewhere on the web.

Dan Zubkoff
San Mateo, CA
66 CSP311, SPL311

here is the info back from a 1997 post:

Hi gang,
I happen to have a "Pinto" 2.3L in my '66 Roadster and it works pretty well.
  Here's the story.  This particular engine came out of a '86 Thunderbird
Turbo Coupe (190 hp) but I am not running the turbo.  I rebuilt it with 10:1
compression, a single Weber and a Borg-Warner T5 trans.  I LOVE the T5,
especially on the freeway. I estimate it makes around 120-130 hp.  Zippy,
but not as fast as a 2.0L, and it is a bit front-heavy.  When I upgrade to
the turbo, I will switch to an aluminum head which should help.

I drive the car daily and I tend to be pretty hard on my cars, so having
easy access to economical parts was a factor in my decision to swap engines.
(I'm on my third clutch so far)

I have the original engine and trans in the garage so I can go back to
the original setup someday.

Karl Payne
'66 SPL-311 01434
kpayne@primenet.com