engine sound

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: engine sound
From: Cocairn@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:48:13 EST
Hi  list,
Today I took the '70 2000 out for a bit of a spin (to work and back).  I
begin to hear a rather loud noise under the hood.  Checking, it sounds like
valves as it's right under the valve cover.  It's not constant, comes and
goes (most goes) but sometimes it sounds terrible.  I know I need the carbs
redone (hear Z Therapy does the best job) but can't afford it right now.
This is the first time I've heard the sound since I bought the car in
December.
I did add some STP lead additive to the gas tank.  Could that be the culprit?
 What does anyone think of lead additives?  Anyone have an answer?
Thanks in advance.

Steve Smith
70 2000