reply: replacement seat info

To: "'roadster.netlist'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: reply: replacement seat info
From: "Ofarrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:36:59 -0800
Hey Adam (and list),    ref: adam's seat question below.
I had the same seat/track problems, (and am from the "return to stock only
if practical" line of thinking) and found a ton of replacement Honda seats
at various classifieds sites.  So, I bought a relatively cheap used set
(CRX-SI) and then got seatcovers called "wet okoles", which are neoprene
(wetsuit) rubber.  The various comments on the net said they fade in the
sun, so I bought them with grey inserts, rather than some color.  They make
two types, one with lycra sides and neoprene insert, one with all neoprene.
They custom fit them to the particular model of seat, (bolster/headrest
shapes and such) and they fit great.  But, I have yet to install them in the
car, so I don't have pictures, yet.  The Honda tracks are easily removeable
from the seat, and match the roadster holes perfectly width-wise.  You only
have to drill one more hole in the Honda track, and then cut off the right
angle on the forward end.  (remember, seat belts only work as good as the
seat is stationary, so this mounting is important)  If you do this, you'll
end up within 1/2" of stock height (thanks for the info, Fred Jackson)
I am replacing the 1/4" bolts with 3/8" bolts with nylocks, and mine had no
washers on them (PO job?) so I am putting pretty major sized ones in to
distribute the load.
could I have recovered them as cheap? probably. But I didn't have the
headrests, (more $$), I am tall so I need the reclining capability, and
while I open myself to the Miata vs. roadster flaming, I think we have
progressed a bit in 20+ years, and spine support and comfort is one of them.
just my opinion,
Fergus O
69 2000
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Subject: Stereo and seats
Now for the seats.  Mine are ripped and the tracks are rusted.  Worse
yet, one stud was already broken on the driver's seat tracks and I
broke another.  Is there another seat that lines up pretty well with
the roadster tracks that I could substitute?  Or am I best finding
another pair of seats (or tracks) and having them reupholstered?