Re: gas additives - MTBE

To: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>, "Dave Stoll"
Subject: Re: gas additives - MTBE
From: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 18:22:05 -0600
Victor Laury wrote

>Ethanol will be replacing it. A reasonable oxygenate but hard on engine
>components. Ethanol (corn mash distillate) is Archer Daniels Midlands main
>product, This agro-giant knows how to spin media into political power. The
>dark side of Environmental movements and actions is that there is often big
>business in the background, fanning the flames.
Consider also that it takes from 4 to 6 units of petroleum energy to
produce 1 unit of corn energy (fertilizers,pesticides, herbicides,
tillage, harvesting, transport, etc)  And this is before you've used more
petoleum energy to distill the ethanol from the corn-mash.  Should we be
burning what we can eat?
Thanks for the info on MTBEs. by the way.

marc t.

Marc Tyler
Designer,
Animal Firm