Re: good news, bad news

To: "Pam & Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: good news, bad news
From: "roadster" <roadster@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:11:35 -0800
Paul,

Sorry to hear of your data loss. After working with computers for 30 years
(and losing some data), I've learned to back up my data. And not just 1
copy. Best bet is a minimum of 2 backups stored in separate places. I
recommend backing up all new pictures on your PC daily to a CD-RW.

For PC newbies - rewriteable CD via CD-ROM burner. Drag and drop files just
like you do to a hard disk drive. Better yet, drag entire folders for the
copy process. Then perhaps once a week, copy the entire CD-RW to a CD-R
(write-once media) and tag the CD-R so you can read it on any CD reader.

Over time you'll have multiple archive copies that can be read on any
machine with a CD reader. The CD-ROM burners are very inexpensive and the
media even more so.  Oh, if something better than CD-R's come along be sure
to transfer everything over to the new media! I still have stuff on punched
tape and analog tape that are unreadable just 25 years later.

I'll take a look and see if I have any of your photos. I may have downloaded
a few, as your pictures of your roadster work are awesome/perfection.

Fred - So.SF