Re[2]: Shorting Ignition Switch

To: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re[2]: Shorting Ignition Switch
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:09:04 -0800
Hi Pat,

Interesting that I found a definition for nitpick that fits, but not for
nit! Right, not a short in John's case as it is an open. I've had similar
problems with faulty switches, where you need to release the turned key
from the starter position to get the engine to "catch".

Kick over in this case means to "catch" or start. No definition in my dictionary
for "kick over" but I did find one for "kick up" meaning to raise trouble as in
'the motor began to kick up'. I don't know where I picked up this slang, never
gave it a thought. It took me years to get my wife to stop saying "open the
light" when she meant to say "turn on the light". I explained that flicking the
switch created a closed circuit not an open circuit. Gosh would she get steamed
at me. ;>

Fred - So.SF