RE: Can't find it grind it

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Can't find it grind it
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 21:44:17 -0800
Yeah, I didn't go into the details. But since a few people have asked,
here's the longer version of double-clutching:

1. Put the clutch in and shift into neutral.
2. Let the clutch out and blip the throttle.
3. Put the clutch in before the revs drop.
4. Shift to the lower gear and let the clutch out.

What this does is, it uses the engine to accelerate the tranny components up
to a higher speed (when you blip the throttle). Then the synchro has less
work to do to match the speeds of the components.

It feels really awkward at first but once you get it, you can throw a
downshift from 5th all the way to 2nd coming into a very tight turn and make
it completely smooth with no graunching. It's really great.

Another advantage besides saving the synchros is that it doesn't unbalance
the car as much as just shifting down and dumping the clutch. When you do
that, the sudden application of engine compression  braking can easily
transfer more weight to the front end right when you're trying to get the
car balanced for a turn.

It used to be a "basic" move that all racers knew, but then they started
building custom race gearboxes where you don't even have to use the clutch
except to start. Takes all the fun out of it.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA