RE: Can't find it grind it

To: "Craig Odell" <CDADDYO@prodigy.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Can't find it grind it
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 18:49:16 -0800
2nd gear synchro is always the first to go out, because it gets the most use
in traffic. And shifting down into a gear is harder on the synchro than
shifting up because it has to accelerate the countershaft, input shaft and
clutch disk up to the speed that they will be going in the lower gear.

Switching to something like Redline MTL can make it better provided you
don't wind up with leaks. A better solution (short of rebuilding the tranny
and replacing 2nd gear synchro) is to learn to double-clutch on the
downshifts. Takes a bit of practice to get it, but it eventually becomes
second nature. I automatically double-clutch all my downshifts to either 2nd
or 1st no matter what I'm driving - except the Maxima automatic. ;-)

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA