Re: Roadster differences between years

To: Mick T <mickth@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Roadster differences between years
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 06:21:14 -0800
Mick T wrote:

> Hello all,
>   I'm researching the differences in roadsters, particularly in suspension,
> brakes, and differentials. Years 1966 to 1970. Also, is there a difference
> between the 1600's and the 2000's for these areas? I've found a few websites
> that go over the cosmetic differences, but not about the areas I've listed
> above. Does anyone know of such a site?

Mick,
I do not know of a site, however the differences between these years is somewhat
straight forward.
All models had disc brakes front and drums for the rear.
2000 came with the finned aluminum drums standard with less un-sprung weight.
1600 came with the steel drums on the rear as standard.
     The aluminum drums for the 2000 fit the 1600 with no modifications.

There is a difference in the rear wheel brake cylinders.  3 sizes offered
                                                2000  --- 3/4 inch standard
                                                1600  --- 13/16
                                     another option     11/16    I think that
this was harder to find?

Differential gearing was:  3.89 for the 1600
                                      3.70 for the 2000

Not sure about the front coil springs, however the weight was about the same
between the 2 engines.
Rear spring rates were a little different.  I do not know the differences
exactly.
The Bob Sharp manual mentions that the 66 rear leaf spring was stiffer than 67
to 70.
      The 66 springs were recommended for competition.  Supposedly a bit better
than the actual
        competition leaf springs offered by nissan as mentioned in the Bob Sharp
race prep manual.

Frames are (or should be) the same.

Steering boxes were changed is 69 I believe.
66, 67 had worm drive steering boxes and a specific idler box.
Not exactly sure of 68
69, 70 had reciprocating ball steering boxes with a different idler box than
above.

Bob
67.5