Re: Solex Carb Questions?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Solex Carb Questions?
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:19:41 -0800
Thomas in Sweden wrote:

> My answer for your first question. You can use Lotus
> type seals between carb and manifold. They are one
> 1/4 inch thick nylon type plastic spacer with an O-ring
> on each side. They are available for different diameters.
> To insulate from vibrations you use 1/2 thick rubber
> washers (there are different types available with or
> without a "waist" in the middle), a steel washer and a
> nylock nut to hold the carbs to the manifold. Dont
> overtight the nuts as they should only hold the carb
> tight enough to seal against the O-rings. Some make
> these washers from a thick wall silicon hose with 5/16
> inch inner diameter. The rubber insulators or Pirelli joints
> as we call them here in Europe are quite expensive
> and dont last as long as the Lotus type seals.

WORD OF WARNING - the Mikuni/Solex carbs do not have round bores at the throttle
plate end, as the Weber/SK and, I believe, Dellortos do. Most of the soft mounts
kits such as described above work only on carbs with round bores. You *may* be
able to make them work but often not. If the O-ring intersects the location of
the "bulge" in the bore you will end up with a vacuum leak. Mikuni sold a
similar type item with their aftermarket kits, except that the O-ring groove was
"bulged" to match the carb, but the design did not allow for softmounting. It
was just a way to seal the carbs to the manifold. You can modify their kit to ad
some degree of softmount factor.

BTW all sidedraft carbs do best when softmounted.

--
Marc Sayer
82 280ZXT