Re: New Roadster from Nissan

To: "Marc Sayer" <marcsayer@home.com>,
Subject: Re: New Roadster from Nissan
From: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:22:27 -0600
The Dread Pirate Robertswrote

>Just curious, but how is a new Z w/a convertible top not a roadster - or
>are you looking
>for an updated version of  our Roadster?
That's two questions ;-)

> Chassis reinforcement is
>necessary in a unibody
>convertible because of the loss of the stiffening you get with a roof
>(twist a shoe box
>about its long axis, with out the top - then put the top on the box and
>try it. Feel the
>difference?).
Cut a hole in the box-top without disturbing the side rails of the top
and you have a roadtser-box, Pretty rigid, but still open ;-)

A roadster is a 2 seat, open-topped car designed as an open-topped car.
Not a coupe with the top cut of and *retrofitted* with extra stiffening.
The Miata is a roadster,  a convertible Z is a convertible.   The Miata
is a unibody car designed to be open, so no *extra* stiffening is used
(i.e. put in after initial manufacture).  The difference, admittedly, is
mainly semantic, but there you go.

And to the second question, yes. I'd prefer a small, 2 seat, 4 cyl
purpose built roadster, taking design cues from our beloved little cars (
Without botching it, preferably)  It should have the spirit of the
roadster, Not a prop from "Logan's Run"

-marc.

Marc Tyler
Designer,