Re: OT- bolting things to concrete floors.

To: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: OT- bolting things to concrete floors.
From: Michael Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 18:17:40 -0800
Daniel,
You need a rotor hammer drill and a wedge anchor, also  known as a Redhead.
Redhead is a brand name and you can use other brand fasteners. You can rent
a rotor hammer drill from most rental yards or borrow one from a friend. You
will
need to know the size of bolt you are going to use and the size of hole
required by
the manufacturer of the wedge anchor. You can also rent the bits from a rental
yard.

First you drill the hole to the proper depth and diameter as required and then
you blow
out the dust . Then insert wedge anchor by leaving the nut on it and then
driving it down in
the hole. When you tighten it the wings on it expand and wedge it to the
concrete.

You can also use an epoxy type anchor , but will be to expensive for what you
need.

I have personally installed these and also done pull out tests on hundreds of
them
and they work well . The concrete around them usually fail before they do. I
have
pulled some using a hydraulic ram up to 36,000 psi without failure.

I am going to use a couple on my garage floor to anchor a winch on it to pull
cars up from the driveway and in to the garage when the motor is out. Tired of

chasing a neighbor down every time I want a car inside.

Mike
Nowroc