Re: Gas Mileage

To: "Ryan, Richard" <RRyan@frk.com>,
Subject: Re: Gas Mileage
From: "Patrick P. Castronovo" <slick1@mohaveaz.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 08:05:14 -0800
Assuming everything is stock (no modifications) and using a 5 speed
transmission, 4th gear is 1 to1 ratio.  That means the engine turns one
revolution, and at the same time the drive shaft turns one revolution.   5th
gear is .852 to 1,  meaning the Engine turns one revolution, ( one Engine
Revolution = 10 ) but the drive shaft turns just  8 1/2 of that 10.  That
Means you will travel further in fifth gear, at the same Engine revolutions
you would use in fourth gear.  Thus using less gas.  Did I make that clear ?
It would compare to driving in first gear as opposed to driving in Fifth
gear, same anology.  Anybody ?
Pat