Re: Gas Mileage

To: "Ryan, Richard" <RRyan@frk.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Mileage
From: The Dread Pirate Roberts <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 09:49:21 -0800
All other things being equal (which they almost never are, of course), the
lower engine
speed will yield better gas mileage, just based on the fact that you are
filling the
cylinders fewer times per minute. There are a lot of variables involved, but as
a general
rule, one would use an overdrive top gear for cruising at freeway speed because
the lower
engine speed conserves fuel and reduces engine wear. The powerplant has to have
the torque
to pull the taller gearing, of course, but i trust that the Nissan engineers
did their
homework in this regard.

According to the data in the '69 Owner's manual that I have in JPEG images (I
can't
remember who it was that scanned the manual and put it on their website -
thanks whoever
it was), the R16 and SU U20 both develop almost identical torque at 4000 RPM
(130 vs 132,
respectively), so an R16 powered Roadster might be able to handle the 5-speed's
top gear,
but it might not be compatible with the other ratios.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA