Re: Got Torque?

To: "Datsun Roadster" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Got Torque?
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 23:09:19 -0600
>In my Chilton Manual for TorqueSpecs:
>Datsun 1961 to 1972, Engine Models:
> Cylinder heads: Foot Lbs.
>P: 63-65
>E1: 35-45
>G: 50-60
>J: 45
>R: 45-50
>U20: 65
>L16: 40
>L24: 47
>A12: 33-35

While I can't address the U-20 or R-16 specs I do know that the final
torque spec for the L-motors has increased about four times over the 30
plus years that I've been playing with these things. I remember it being
around 47 Lb/Ft  early on, but that was superseded several times as
stronger head bolt came out, particularly for the turbo L-6s. I think
it's in the mid 60s now. I'll definitely have to look before I finish the
motor I have on the stand now. Does either the U or R motor use the same
bolt(s) as the L-series?

I'm seriously considering using studs in the "serious" L-18 that I plan
to start next fall. Not so much because they might pull the head down any
better, but it seems logical if I'm likely to be pulling the head at
least occasionally that studs would offer less wear and tear on the
threads. Might as well treat these blocks as gently as we can. I doubt
Renault's gonna let Nissan set up to make us some more!

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
ronnie_day@acd.org
The ACL Group