Lexan, (was 280 Z Alloy Wheels??)

To: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Subject: Lexan, (was 280 Z Alloy Wheels??)
From: Marc Tyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 11:31:50 -0600
> power to weight ratio by changing either number.
>
> Not that anything but the first question has much to Alex's post, but I
> would appreciate the benefit of other's thoughts and experiences. Who's
> worked with Lexan? How is it easiest to cut? Fine tooth blades in a
> variable speed saber saw?
>
> TIA, Ron
>
> Ronnie Day
> ronday@home.com

Ron,

Lexan can be difficult to cut with a reciprocating saw.  The blade gets
hot and the chips melt and reconstitute in the cut behind the blade,
welding it back together.  If you can get acess to a band saw, no
problems.  You can do it here if you'd like, but I bet you know someone
closer.  If you're going to be drilling holes, spring for plastic
cutting bits at the outfit you get the polycarbonate from.

The same propertiies that make lexan so shatterproof makes it a bit of a
challenge to work with.  On the good side, it won't just shatter on you
like Plexiglas will.

I vote for aluminum over masonite BTW  :-)

Marc T.