re:stripes

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: re:stripes
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 11:58:48 EDT
In a message dated 10/13/00 10:34:08 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
shifty@best.com writes:

> Will 3M vinyl striping work over the ridges on the hood and trunk? Painted
>  would be better?

Mark typing here...

  The answer is...it depends. If it we me, I would do it in vinyl. But then I
have access to a $40,000 software/hardware suite and about 17 million
different colour and quality variations in 30 yard rolls. I also get paid to
do such things everyday.
  High quality vinyl (read the thinnest available) will conform to any ridge
or surface detail (including rivets) with out any real problems if properly
applied.

  It would probably be easiest to paint the stripes on.  You'll want to get
some 3M fineline tape (real 3M!) to lay out your stipes. The area of the new
stripe will have to be prepared - scuffed with coarse Scotchbrite at the very
least then thouroughly dedusted and wiped with a prep solvent.  All of that
should be done >after< the stripes are laid out and masked off.
  You don't say what colour the car is or wants to be.  If you are wanting to
put a white stripe over red, you're in for a pretty serious undertaking. You
will need either to take the red down to primer or spray it witha good
quality barrier. Unfortunately the barrier will add yet another thickness of
paint which will show up at the edge of the stripe.  OTOH, if you WANT pink
stripes..........<G>

  Conclusion:  If you're thinking about repainting, or putting a dark colour
over light then paint is the easiest way to go.  If you want to put white
over dark, either you should use vinyl, or you should have thought of it
before you painted <G>

  If there is enough interest I can probably make up some stripe sets - email
me at fordcortinaaz@aol.com and I will work up some prices and intallation
intsructions

Mark

Laurie :-)