ANOTHER Engine Tuning Device

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: ANOTHER Engine Tuning Device
From: "spencer" <spencer@thevision.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 14:33:56 -0700
Fellow Roadsterphiles,

Another "Engine Tuning Device" that's been standard operating equipment on
aircraft is the EGT, or exhaust temperature guage.  If I wasn't so lazy, I'd
figure a way to adjust my mixure from the cab while on the road (a worm on a
solid cable, rotating the adjusting nut cut with gear teeth to mesh?).  The
ultralight community has DUAL EGT's, with sending units, for around $100.
You can buy 'em used for  less.

The placement of the probe (into the exhaust manifold) is somewhat critical
for accurate readings, but allowances CAN be made to monitor trends.  If
memory serves, it's several inches away from the exhaust port and it
probably wouldn't be a problem to mount it where it needs to go, I just
haven't done it to mine yet.

I DID, however, rig my distributor with a choke-type control so I can retard
or advance it while I'm driving.  I got tired of lugging it in 2nd in
parking lots and at lights that just turned green as I got there and now,
should the occasion arise (and my leg is too lazy to downshift), I simply
reach over and retard a notch and never worry about pinging again.  As I get
up to speed, I advance it as I keep the footfeed in JUST at the ping point.
When I settle into a cruise RPM I take comfort knowing I'm maximizing my
fuel economy and getting the most from my powerplant.

I was completely surprised at how critical "perfect timing" ISN'T.  I've
seen guys tap their distributors 1/2 degree to be sure it will start and run
right and, brother, it's a waste of time!  English cars have had venier
controls on their distributors since there were dinosaurs...not because they
like to tinker, but because they HAD to adust to the sh*tty gas they had
availlable.

Well, looks like I've had too much coffee again...shutting up now or I'll
start in on the vacuum guage and it's virtues, about which I don't
understand everything I know.

Mark in Modesto
pale yellow  '67.5 1600